**Video Coming Soon***
During this episode, Cancer Tamer’s hosts Dr. Charley Ferrer and Debra Santulli-Barone discussed various resources and options available to you to help during Chemo and Radiation treatments, as well as discussion the a few of the options available to you and how to connect with them. Below are the website links.
1) Mouth pain during Chemo & Radiation. Solution: Chemo Mouthpiece
– Chemo & Radiation can cause sores in the mouth, usually patients are given ice chips.
– Chemo Mouth piece offers:
– cools the entire oral cavity
– stays ice cold for 30 min, can be used with sensitive teeth
– No RX required
– one size fits most adults
– made with FDA medical grade silicone, water & salt
– Visit: chemomouthpiece.com 201-716-0693 or inquiries @chemomouthpiece.com
– discount code: CMP19
2) African-American women and Breast Cancer. We spoke a little about this subject last month, about nearly 40% more black women die from BC than Caucasian women due to: (As per Sisters Network, Inc)
– diagnosed at later stages, treatment is limited, costly, might not have insurance, and prognosis is poor
– often diagnosed younger and with more aggressive breast cancers, Black women have the highest risk of getting triple negative BC.
– Book “In the Company of My Sisters; My Story, My Truth. “ by Karen Eubank Jackson
3) Beauty and comfort: Great organizations that gives you a free day of beauty at a Spa near you:
- A) Diva for a Day: firstname.lastname@example.org go to: divaforaday.org . Just have someone nominate you, or nominate a breast cancer patient. Free: hair cut, massage, pedicure, manicure, lunch, makeup
- B) Look Good Feel Better- lookgoodfeelbetter.org 800-395-5665 includes:
– lessons on makeup, skin care, brow stencil, wig tips, styling tips, consultations, webinars
- C) EBeauty – ebeauty.com offers: free wigs and wig exchange program
- D) Sephora brave beauty – sephorastands.com offers: makeup lessons
- E) Lipstick Angels – lipstickangels.org offers: makeup lessons, facials, hand massage at hospitals
- F) Fabulous and Fighting: fabulousandfighting.org offers: free designer clothes (NYC)
- G) Wigs for Kids – wigsforkids.org 440-333-4433, free wigs, handmade
Page 2 June 2021
4) Zoom Support group from SIUH hospital for breast cancer: contact LPalmer4@northwell.edu
5) Healthy plant foods to prevent cancer, fight cancer as per Amer Institute for Cancer Research:
– apricots dried, fresh, canned have carotenoid like colorful fruits
– Quinoa – has fiber, protein.
– Avocados – considered a fruit, have Vitamin E, great in a salad, a spread on toast, in a wrap, or chocolate pudding, process avocado, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and a little almond milk.
– Pumpkin – unsweetened pumpkin puree for smoothies, soups, stews, pasta. Vitamin A antioxidants, protects cells from damage that may lead to cancer.
– brussel sprouts – mini cabbages, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli. Roast with garlic and some oil, or glaze with balsamic vinegar
– Black beans – 1 cup gives you 15 grams of cancer-fighting fiber. Dried or canned provide protein, so you can limit red meat to lower cancer risk. Rinse canned beans, or buy low sodium.
6) Dating and the cancer person:
- A) www.CancerMatch.com – connects people with cancer
- B) Book: “Romance only,” by Laura Brashier, writes about Intimacy without Intercourse since some have so much pain, they opt not to have intercourse due to their treatment.
7) Saving your Eggs: Before deciding on certain cancer treatments you might want to save your eggs for future use. Some organization have grants to pay for saving your eggs, below:
8) Retreat/camps: Getting away from it all.
- A) Casting for Recovery – castingforrecovery.org
– works with maid services around the country for free house cleaning for cancer patients.